Skip to main content

Williamstown Theatre Festival collection

 Collection
Identifier: MC-260

Scope and Contents

The Williamstown Theatre Festival collection includes materials that document the entire history of the Festival. Materials include pamphlets, brochures, programs, playbills, photographs, posters, play scripts, audiovisual items, framed items, newspaper clippings, and other miscellaneous printed materials. The collection covers from 1955 to the present and is updated regularly.

Dates

  • 1955-

Conditions Governing Access

In process collection, for further information please contact the Special Collections staff.

Conditions Governing Use

In consultation with Special Collections staff, reproductions may be made upon request. Please consult with staff regarding questions about publishing materials from Williams Special Collections. Researchers are responsible for handling any copyright and publicity right issues that may be associated with collections and materials. Williamstown Theatre Festival, Inc. is the source of this material. Credit should be given to the creator and it is incumbent on the user to gain any approval for use from the creator. Williamstown Theatre Festival, Inc. assumes no responsibility for granting such approval.

Biographical / Historical

According to the Williamstown Theatre Festival Archive website: "During the winter of 1954, Ralph Renzi (Williams ’43), News Director of Williams College, and David C. Bryant, chairman of the College’s active drama program, conceived the idea of using the Adams Memorial Theatre on the Williams College campus for a summer theater with a resident company. They were joined by music professor Irwin Shainman as Treasurer and Louis Rudnick (Williams ’15), chairman of the Williamstown Board of Selectman, who was elected President of the new Foundation—a position he held for 17 years. Robert C. Sprague, President of Sprague Electric, became a leading financial advisor. With the help of the Board of Trade, local businessmen and town residents including Cole Porter, the Williamstown Summer Theatre—later renamed the Williamstown Theatre Festival—was formed with $9,000 in the bank. Intending to produce ten plays in ten weeks, director Bryant sought out an associate who could direct half the season. On the strong recommendation from the Dean of Yale School of Drama, Nikos Psacharopoulos was appointed. A 26-member company was assembled from young New York Professionals, Yale actors and alumni, and a few students from Williamstown. When Bryant left Williams the following year, Nikos became Artistic Director, and the Festival’s repertory became increasingly ambitious with productions of Shaw, Giradoux, Miller, Williams and Chekhov. A growing family of actors evolved including Mildred Dunnock, E.G. Marshall and Thornton Wilder, later joined by the likes of Blythe Danner, Olympia Dukakis, Edward Herrmann, Kate Burton, James Naughton and Christopher Reeve, whose return year after year gave stability to the Equity company. In the 1960s and early 1970s, Williamstown became known for innovative versions of classics: The Seagull (taped for PBS), Galileo, Six Characters in Search of an Author, Peer Gynt and The Threepenny Opera. By this time over 100 people worked in the theater every summer. Auxiliary activities began to supplement the Main Stage: the Apprentice Workshop, an experimental Second Company, lively late-night cabarets, Sunday literary events and new play readings. The 1980s saw some of the WTF’s most ambitious work—The Greeks, a two-night celebration of Tennessee Williams with the playwright in residence, premieres on the other Stage and launch of the popular outdoor Free Theatre. Many projects transferred to Broadway, Off-Broadway and television. After an extraordinary and visionary 33 years as the head of the WTF, Nikos Psacharopoulos passed away in 1989. Following a 35th season dedicated to his memory run by a troika of Peter Hunt, Austin Pendleton and George Morfogen, Hunt, named Artistic Director, gave a new focus to musical theatre and American classics. In 1996, long-time WTF stage manager Michael Ritchie became Producer. During his eight years at the helm, nearly two dozen productions transferred to Broadway, Off-Broadway and regional theatres across the country. In 2002, the Williamstown Theatre Festival received the Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. Ritchie was succeeded in 2005 by Roger Rees, who encouraged new writing and emphasized the importance of the Apprentice in the life of the Festival. Former WTF resident director Nicholas Martin served as Artistic Director from 2008-2010. In 2011, WTF received the Commonwealth Award for Achievement, the highest cultural honor bestowed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Former Associate Producer Jenny Gersten led the Festival from 2011-2014 and Mandy Greenfield assumed the role of Artistic Director in September 2014. The Festival’s goals remain constant: to attract top talent, cultivate young artists, produce reinterpreted versions of classics and new plays from gifted playwrights and to continue to attract audiences with the quality and ambition of our work."

Extent

288.5 Linear Feet (191 records storage boxes, one half manuscript box, one flat file box)

3.2 Gigabytes

1.05 Terabytes

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged into several series, many of which are not defined yet as the collection is being processed. The series include: I. Photographs, II. Williamstown Theatre Festival Posters, III. Theatre Scripts, IV. Photograph Albums, V. Programs and Playbills, VI. Williamstown Theatre Festival Digital Files.

Physical Location

Library Shelving Facility

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of the Board of Trustees of the Williamstown Theatre Festival, Inc., July/August 2017.
Title
Williamstown Theatre Festival collection
Status
In Progress
Author
Nash, Katie
Date
2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Williams College Archives & Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Sawyer Library
26 Hopkins Hall Drive
Williamstown, MA 01267