Abbot Paige Mills papers
Scope and Contents
The Abbot Paige Mills Papers consist of newspaper clippings, correspondence, photographs and other assorted items, reflecting the life of Abbot Paige Mills (1889-1973, Williams 1911), both during and after his attendance at Williams. Mills played four years of varsity baseball during college, and went on to play professionally for several years after graduating. Although he became a lawyer, he never lost his passion for the sport. His alma mater also continued to be an important part of Mills's life, and he remained aware of happenings at Williams through his service as Trustee, Alumni Fund Chair, and President of the Society of Alumni.
- 1883 - 1970
Conditions Governing Access
The Abbot Paige Mills Papers is open for research. Researchers are encouraged to contact Special Collections staff prior to a visit.
Conditions Governing Use
In consultation with Special Collections staff, reproductions may be made upon request. Material in this collection may be subject to copyright.
Abbot Paige Mills (1889-1973)
Biographical Chronology (APM=Abbot Paige Mills)
- APM is born October 23 in South Williamstown, the third and last child of Charles A. and Clara Paige Mills.
- APM attends Pittsfield High School.
- APM attends Williams College. He plays varsity baseball all four years, is sophomore Class President, a member of the Banjo Club, Gargoyle Society, the debate team, and is elected Class Day President.
- APM graduates from Williams, Phi Beta Kappa.
- APM plays professional baseball for one season with the Cleveland team (before it is known as the Indians).
- APM plays briefly with the New Orleans Pelicans.
- APM attends Harvard Law School and is associate editor of the 'Harvard Law Review.'
- APM works for the firm of Hurlburt, Jones, Cabot & Hall in Boston.
- APM serves in the U.S. Army in the 304th Infantry stationed in France, and earns the rank of Captain.
- APM works in Washington, DC as a member of the War Dept. Claims Board and decides to stay in Washington to practice privately administrative and general law.
- APM marries Augustina David Carr of Charlottesville, VA on October 22.
- Their daughter, Benair Mills, is born July 2.
- Their daughter, Clara Mills, is born May 21.
- Their daughter, Virginia Mills, is born September 11.
- APM serves as the Chairman of the Williams College Alumni Fund.
- APM establishes the firm of Underwood, Mills and Kilpatrick.
- APM serves as Williams College Trustee.
- APM is President of the Society of Alumni.
- APM is elected to the All-Williams Team as third baseman.
- APM works for the U.S. War Department Amortization Board.
- APM, influenced by his youngest daughter, begins figure skating and eventually gains enough proficiency to win the 'Veteran's Dance' competition at Lake Placid, NY.
- APM helps to establish the firm of Mills, Partridge and Harding.
- APM serves as second Vice President and Eastern Chairman of the U.S. Figure Skating Association (USFSA).
- APM serves as Finance Chairman for USFSA.
- APM works for the firm of Mills, Harding and Nairn. He is also elected to the All-Time Williams Team as third baseman.
- APM officially retires from law practice.
- APM dies June 4 in the Washington Hospital Center at the age of 83.
1.5 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Organized into three series: I. Williams College, II. Papers after Williams, III. Family papers.
Library Shelving Facility
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Benair Titus (daughter), 1993 and 2005.
Processed by Julie Diep (Williams 1997), January 1994 and Sabine Chishty (Williams 2010), June 2009.
- Abbot Paige Mills papers
- Nash, Katie
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description